Wednesday, November 10, 2010

11/10/10 - "The Way Things Are"

I’ve had several people write and ask what is going on with my Dad so I wanted to post this entry. Dad completed his third week of chemotherapy last week and is supposed to do some lab work in the next few days. He doesn’t seem to be fazed by this, and appears to be getting used to the chemo sessions. Unfortunately each treatment visit is not as short as we were led to expect in the first appointment. His first chemo appointment started at 11.00 and he got home at 6pm., the 2nd appointment started at 11.00 and ended at 4.30pm, the 3rd appointment was not as long as either of them; he mentioned that it lasted about 4 hours.

It seems as if he is getting used to the appointments too. Mother mentioned that in the first appointment he sat in the lobby and talked, probably due to nerves, with anyone that came in the room. She talked with him about not discussing cancer in an open setting until he had a chance to get his ‘feet wet’ so to speak and get to know the people that are visiting in the waiting room. By the third appointment Mother reported to me that it’s as-if he is becoming more comfortable with the visits and treatments.

For each treatment appointment Mother has fixed him a sack-lunch of goodies (crackers, sandwich, a drink, and chips). After the first really long appointment he thought the food was a blessing, but as the appointments have shortened he has gotten to know many people and freely shares his goodies. He told me that a couple people who seemed to have no interest in talking or even eating his food gave into his charm once he shared one special food, cornbread crackers. He said that everyone seemed to loosen-up and talk more openly after tasting his special treats.

This is my Dad, always friendly and looking for a conversation (feel free to read "Father's Day 2010" @ http://tiny.cc/7stom, a post on my other blog for more information about my Dad). This is the Dad I know and have considered losing since his diagnoses; a man that has never really known a life without being able to strike-up a conversation with almost anyone. This is the Dad I fear losing, the Dad I do not want to live without and that I have suffered over for more than a month now.

I apologize to my faithful followers for the delay between blog posts; I am now committed to posts every couple days (there’s always something to post). Thanks everyone for your interest in Dad’s progress and my writing.  

Take care!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds wonderful.

Lisa at Wanderlust Women said...

Andy, having lost my Dad to Alzheimers, I feel your sadness. It is hard to be the grown-up but they need our strength now more than ever. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to your and your family.

Andy Bryant said...

Thank you for the comment Bloggergirl. It made me smile and though it reminded me of days that will likely not return it did afford me the chance to consider we all had the opportunity of a life-time to experience his personality and love. Thank you.

Andy Bryant said...

Lisa, I have friends who are facing the Alzheimer's demon; my heart goes out to you. Reading my post must have been uncomfortable at the least, thank you for your effort and time reading my post. Please be safe and remember that mentioning your Dad and what you experienced is a comfort to me this morning. :-)

Andy Bryant said...

Kimberly, I want to thank you for the time you spent reading my post. Your heartfelt expression of care and understanding means so much, thank you.